On 4/9/06, Shel Belinkoff <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Depressing?  How?

I saw a doc on Nachtway a while ago on TV, and I suspect it was this
one (how many could there be?).

What I found disturbing was the portrayal of him as one who basically
can't function in "normal" society.  It seems that he's most (only?)
at home in war zones;  that his down time in the US is something that
he can hardly bear.  It's not that he craves or is addicted to the
excitement of war, but that he seems dysfunctional among others and
seeks horrible places as a way of isolating himself from others.

At least that's how he was portrayed.  It seemed almost pathological,
and it was sad.

I wondered if he became a war photographer to deal with this problem,
or if he was "normal" but several decades of witnessing and
photographing some of the worst horrors and atrocities on this planet
have made him this way.

cheers,
frank