----- Original Message ----- From: "Kostas Kavoussanakis"
Subject: Re: Soft boxes, any recommendations

Is there a reference you would be happy to share? I certainly am not in the position to discount Bob, but I would welcome a longer analysis, perhaps with graphics or examples. I find it counterintuitive that closer gives soft and wrap-around. I thought bouncing is the way to go (and that increases the distance if anything).

The larger the light source, the softer the light. Take a 36 inch reflector, be it a soft box or umbrella and put it 20 feet from the subject, it is effectively a point source, but if you put it a foot from the subject it should give a very soft light.

William Robb