Bob Shell wrote:

On Apr 15, 2006, at 10:59 AM, Don Williams wrote:

Its still the mob "but they've gone legit" -- according to a taxi driver, the last time I was there. Perhaps he watched too many Godfather movies? One thing I found to my liking was the food. One Sea Food restaurant I liked in particular was round behind the Flamingo. I just can't remember the name. I had a drinks coaster with the details ... but it's gone long ago. They made clam chowder almost as good as you can find on Fisherman's Wharf -- but many times more expensive.

I've been going to Las Vegas for 30+ years, usually a couple of times a year. I've watched the place change, and certainly not for the better. When the mob ran it you could walk around anywhere in town and not fear street crime because the mob didn't tolerate it. Bad for business, you know. Now the place is dangerous if you get far off the tourist track. They have gangs. Lots of crime. Smog. All the result of uncontrolled growth. I wish we could go back to the Vegas of the old days.

I don't recognize the seafood place you're talking about. When was that? My favorite restaurants there now are the Rosewood Grill and Smith & Wollensky. I only like to go to Smith & Wollensky when someone else is picking up the tab, though!

There's also a great little family-owned Italian place over on W. Sahara that I go to, but I can't recollect the name at the moment. It's a couple of blocks off Las Vegas Blvd. on the left.

Bob

--No virus found in this incoming message.
Checked by AVG Free Edition.

The last time I was certainly there was about 1987, you may remember they were redoing the Flamingo and the sidewalk was against a wooden hoarding for a long time. Pipes and stuff lay about everywhere and it was quite dangerous walking by. There was an enormous parking lot near the restaurant and on the far side of the lot the Las Vegas Medical Center. I also remember Smith and Wollensky. Peter Norton had a birthday party there in about 1991. That was before he sold his soul to the Devil. He was a good friend.

Don

--
Dr E D F Williams
www.kolumbus.fi/mimosa/