iView MediaPro will do the cataloging work for you easily. It's available for Mac OS X and Windows systems. Not cheap, but good; building your own database to do the work that iView does would take a LOT of effort and time. I know, I've done it and discarded my effort in favor of iView when I got to about one-third the capabilities. iView MediaPro will catalog every multimedia file format I've found to date.

Full information available from their website:
  http://www.iview-multimedia.com

For Windows systems, there's also iMatch which has a good reputation.

Godfrey