For SBC/Yahoo DSL I'm paying $14.99/month.
          Speed is adequate, except for my sons who like to download
          Simpsons episodes.

          In rural western Oklahoma the phone co. wants to charge $50 or so
          per month for DSL.  And only 768K at that.

          Friends with cable modems are paying $45/month for cable and
          another $40 or so per month for online access.

          But when I was @ Honda R&D, one  of the guys who spent time in
          Japan said that they get, iirc, 10 megabit DSL for $10 per month.

          So, $60 for a cable modem is par.  But it's high for DSL.
          Have you checked into a dialup with compressor/accelerator?

          Collin