Godfrey DiGiorgi wrote:

On Apr 23, 2006, at 3:54 PM, Adam Maas wrote:

I'll just note that M42 lenses get full function in Av mode, as long as you don't have them set on AUto (which you shouldn't when using an adaptor).

That's misleading, Adam.

M42 lenses function Av mode, just like M/K-bayonet lenses. The fact that they must *always* be stopped down to working aperture manually (no auto-iris diaphragm support at all) for metering and exposure makes them less desirable in some ways than the M/K-bayonet lenses. On the other hand the fact that they can be used throughout their aperture range makes them more desirable in others. They're subject to the same restraints on metering pattern (spot or CW averaging) as M/K-bayonet lenses.

I'd hardly call that "full function"...

Godfrey

I'd call being able to use all apertures in Av mode rather than only wide open 'full function in Av mode', since M/K lenses don't do Apertture Priority at anything other than wide open. And that's what I stated. The fact they have other weaknesses doesn't detract from their distinct advantage over M/K glass, IE true AE function in at least one mode, rather than only being able to use the Green Button/AE Lock hack in M.

-Adam