> > Unfortunately in 99% of the US today an automobile is a
> necessity not
> > a luxury. That said, do not believe that price does not affect gas
> > usage.
>

> I find that Europeans and people from the UK who have not
> been here generally just don't understand this about the USA.
>  Things are far apart here, and for the most part we don't
> have transportation alternatives.  Most of us don't have
> access to passenger train service.  Bus service is very
> limited, and very slow.  It's driving in our cars or not
> getting there.

but that's because you guys have arranged it that way. You can unarrange it
by building better railroads and improved buses.

And move your cities a bit closer together... That reminds me of an American
gentleman I met in Munich many, many years ago. He had not been in Europe
since WWII. I asked him what he thought were the main differences between
Europe and the US. He said "Well, your cities are so close together".

Bob