Thesis plus antithesis equals synthesis.

You both have valid points. Having driven transit in the 80's the busses
were full during rush hours and practically empty the rest of the time. You
have to run busses frequently enough to make them practical to use. My
"solution" to that would be to use full sized busses for peak hours and van/
light truck based mini-busses for the rest of the time on routes that were
not heavily used. I do agree that subways generally carry enough to make
them effective. Air travel could probably benefit from some smaller, more
fuel efficient turbo prop aircraft to service less popular runs. However,
between government regulations and political concerns I doubt that many of
the suggestions would be viable.

My 2ยข

Butch