Cory Papenfuss wrote:
On Sat, 29 Apr 2006, Don Williams wrote:

Sorry, I didn't remember about Cory's disability. But every every time
I start toying with the idea of re-installing Red Hat something like this
happens to set me right. I love Microsoft -- I don't think. The server can
run Linux via a dual boot system, but I have it running XP Pro at the
moment. It acts as a storage facility in case of disasters which happen
with awful regularity here in little Toivakka. Aino's PC downstairs has
extra drive capacity and acts as a dumping ground too.

Not to fan the OS religious wars, but my "disability" is most certainly a choice. I used to be a Macintosh fanatic (circa '88-'98), but after getting jerked around on the OS rewrite for 6 years or so, I didn't want to buy an overpriced machine just to run it. I've played with MacOSX enough to see that it is a very refined and graceful extension to the 15-year old elegance that was NeXTStep (which I had the pleasure of using on original black NeXT hardware).

I bypassed the Winders world altogether and moved exclusively to Linux. Windows sucks so bad in ideology, performance, stability, useability, and cost that I cannot fathom why so many people still use it. Just about EVERYONE I know who uses it (technical folks mostly) gripes about it being such a shoddy, incestuous, pile of sh*t cesspool... yet continually work around the security, performance, and useability flaws.

At least I can always pare my linux distro of choice down to the core and get rid of rampant code bloat. I'm willing to accept some inconvenience and incompatibility with proprietary systems. That's actually one of the same reasons I didn't jump ship from Pentax when I got my DSLR.... they're the "least" proprietary. K-mount, AA-batts, SD-cards, pseudo-TIFF RAW files, sensor datasheet available, etc.

Sorry about the rant... must have brewed up BitchBlend in the espresso machine this morning... :)

-Cory

Unfortunately, given the state of colour management and image editing software on Linux, it's simply not viable for anything beyond basic editing.

I run Linux (Debian and Ubuntu), OS X, XP and NeXTSTEP 3.3 on my home network, all but Debian on desktops as Debian is my standard server OS (installed from Bluewall tarballs and updated to current STABLE). I like Linux as a desktop OS, almost as much as I like OS X. But I do my heavy lifting on Windows XP because it is the best combination of cost and capability for what I do (I wish I could have acquired a Mac as fast and expandable as my PC for even 50% more than I payed for the PC). XP has its issues, but when it comes to value, it wins. And it's a thoroughly competent OS (The only other MS Desktop OS that can claim that is 2000).

-Adam