...if the lens is a curved field lens, then the plane of focus is actually dish shaped, with the curvature keeping things in focus at the focus distance in a curved field in front of the lens.

My understanding also.

When you focus a lens to 1m, it means that all subjects are in focus that are in a plane positioned at 1m from the lens and perpendicular to the lens axis (the focal plane).

My understanding is that if the lens is a flat field lens (macro lenses tend to such lenses), then this is the case

One of the reasons I bought the bellows lens years ago.

Kenneth Waller

----- Original Message ----- From: "William Robb" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Wide lenses and close distances

----- Original Message ----- From: "Vic Mortelmans"

A thought that puzzled me lately may be related to this question.

It's about the focal plane and the effective distance to the camera lens.

When you focus a lens to 1m, it means that all subjects are in focus that are in a plane positioned at 1m from the lens and perpendicular to the lens axis (the focal plane).

My understanding is that if the lens is a flat field lens (macro lenses tend to such lenses), then this is the case, however, if the lens is a curved field lens, then the plane of focus is actually dish shaped, with the curvature keeping things in focus at the focus distance in a curved field in front of the lens.

William Robb