On Wed, May 10, 2006 at 10:28:11AM -0700, Powell Hargrave wrote:
> If I add PEF files to a folder which has DNG files in it and then run DNG
> Converter it creates a second copy of the DNG files.
>
> Any way to stop this annoying redundant behaviour?

Yes - don't put the DNG files in the same folder as the PEFs
in the first place :-)

It's not actually redundant behaviour - the DNG converter is
documented to behave this way, and will take the opportunity
to change the DNG internal structure, if necessary, to bring
it up to the format the DNG converter now writes.  This may
mean adding extra DNG tags (including, I believe, the ability
to fill them out from the copy of the Pentax MakerNote tag in
the old DNG file - the only software I am aware of that knows
how to look inside that copy of the Pentax private data).

If your DNG files are already up to date, of course, then it
is redundant behaviour for now.  But the next time the DNG
format is enhanced you'll appreciate being able to simply
re-process your DNGs (retaining any additional information
put there by Adobe Camera Raw, or by other programs), rather
than having to go back to the original PEFs. That might not
be a big deal.  But, there again, if you have relegated the
PEFs to offline storage (or even, heaven forbid, deleted
them entirely) it make be a very big deal indeed!