DNG files are not Photoshop directly, they're handled by the Camera Raw plugin. Camera Raw v2.4 is what you should be using with Photoshop CS, it handles the DNG files correctly. It's also the last version of the Camera Raw plugin compatible with CS.

You should be converting your files with the latest version of DNG Converter, however: that's version 3.4. This is a standalone application, and is not dependent upon Camera Raw. The output of DNG Converter 3.4 is fully compatible with Camera Raw 2.4.

A typical PEF file of 10.1Mbtyes from the *ist DS converts to a DNG file that is 6.4Mbytes in size. The space savings is greater with *ist D files.

Godfrey