This is a repeat message. The first one apparently didn't go through.

I have an interesting photographic situation and I'd to get some opinions on
the best way to proceed.

I hang a suet feeder in a tree that's about 12' from the bathroom window. The
feeder brings in woodpeckers and other birds that I photograph from inside the
bathroom. Lately, a raccoon has been emptying the feeder every night. I want to
try to get a shot of him if I can.

It will be very dark and impossible to focus so I plan on pre-focusing the
lens. I'd like to stop it down to about f/5.6 or f/8 to give me some room for
error. I plan on using something between a 50 and 100mm focal length to include
the context of the raccoon, the feeder and the tree. I'll obviously have to use
a flash to get the shot.

I have an AF-360 FGZ and an AF-500 FTZ that I can use with my MZ-S. I'll be
shooting with slide film so exposure is critical. I figure I'll only get one
shot before he hauls ringedtail for the woods.

Do you think I'd have better luck using the flash on the manual setting, the
P-TTL in the AF360 or the TTL if the AF500? I'm thinking I might need the power
of the AF500. I'm also wondering about whether the P-TTL or TTL would
overexpose the tree and raccoon trying to light the darkness beyond.

Does anyone have any experience with night time shooting?

Does anyone have any ideas or am I missing anything?

thanks for your thoughts.