On May 11, 2006, at 9:47 AM, David Oswald wrote:

Shel Belinkoff wrote:
Perhaps this is no big deal to some of you, and maybe you even know this, however, recently I discovered that the camera can be used in manual mode while using auto focus lenses, and, in so doing, the meter can be bypassed and the camera used just like any older, mechanical camera, where I can set whatever aperture and shutter speed I desire. It's kind of like having a
digital MX or KX.

Shel,

Here's another nice feature: While in Manual mode, press the AE-L button. The camera will snap into a Program-like exposure automatically. So say you're in M mode, but suddenly find yourself in need of snapping a quickie, without taking the time to tinker with manual exposure settings. A quick press of AE-L will cause the camera to meter the shot for you.

Expanding on that:

On the DS set in Manual exposure mode, pressing the AE-Lock button will force the camera to meter the scene and sets the shutter speed to match the aperture you have set. The aperture is never changed, it's a semi-automatic or "on demand" aperture priority metering operation.

The fast way to use manual exposure, then, is to press the AE-Lock button with your intended target in mind, after setting the aperture you want to use. Subsequent adjustments to aperture or shutter speed will be reflected in the range +/-3EV on the readout (presuming you keep the framing on the same subject). If you move the framing, the camera's readout will reflect the difference between what is now framed and when the metering was set.

It's very flexible ... allows me to use the DS much the way I used to use my Nikon FM with less ring and knob twisting.

Godfrey