Thanks Godfrey, Dave ...

Knowing these techniques makes the camera even more user friendly for me.
The idea of using the DS as a completely manual camera, and also using the
AE-L technique, has made me like the camera even more, and, for me at
least, pretty much gets rid of the bugaboo of relying in the built-in meter
at my discretion.  I just hope future models will allow the same sort of
flexibility.  Thanks again, guys ;-)))))))))))))))))))))))

Shel