A firewall (one word) is a computer program (which could be implemented in
software or hardware) which automatically prevents unauthorised access to a
computer that's connected to a network.

To connect to a computer you can use so-called ports. These can be real (for
example, a parallel printer socket) or numbered virtual ports. When you
connect to the internet you are typically connecting through one or more
virtual ports, each of which may be dedicated to one or more well-known
functions. For example, browsers use port 80, and outgoing email usually
uses port 25. A firewall prevents anything other than the specified
functions from using the ports - this is called blocking the port. Normally
firewalls give you several configurations of blocked and unblocked ports
from which you can choose. Or you can set your own configuration.

As others have mentioned, you can use the firewall supplied by the operating
system, or use one built into your modem (if there is one built in). I use
the firewall that's built into my wireless modem/router. Normally those
built into a modem are considered to be better than those supplied by the
operating system. I've never examined this claim, but just take it on trust.

The benefit is that it protects your computer from unauthorised access
(hacking). The cons are that it's a bit of extra cost, either as money or
cpu cycles or both.

You can get one from a computer store if you don't have one built into your
modem. Check the documentation in your modem first, but if you're still
using dial-up, chances are you don't have one. If you're using XP and are
patched up-to-date you're probably using the Windows Firewall already.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/security/learnmore/atkin_firewall.m
spx

--
Cheers,