Don Williams wrote:
Right! I found out how to separate the channels in CS. But unfortunately my filter seems to be unsuitable for the job. The blue channel is very dark. The green is about half as dense as the blue. The red channel is brightest of course, but looks nothing like the picture Ralf posted, despite it's abundance of trees, bushes and grass. The foliage is dark, exactly the opposite of what is expected. So its back to square one. I need to find the correct filter -- 87C. Ralf has located some for me in a German Dealer's list at about €22 or so. That's a bit expensive for a square of gelatin. Glass ones don't cost a lot more from Hong Kong. I shall not rush this I have plenty of other things to occupy my mind at the moment.

Hi Don,

If you are on CS, its is simpler than if you are on Elements, which doesn't have a channel mixer.

On CS2, I use an adjustment layer, but a straight adjustment works just as well. Tick the monochrome box. Then dial down the red channel a bit, and pump up the green and blue. How much, depends on the scene, but try to keep the overall percentages adding up to 100%. I find I have to add a bit more blue channel to get the detail definition. You can adjust the Contant slider to help you here too. But I often have to add another curve or levels adjustment layer to get the proper contrast. Again, it really depends on the scene, and of course, your taste. Sometimes, I add another duplicate layer on top with a touch of gaussian blur (and the appropriate amount of transparency) to get that classic IR no-anti-halation-layer look.

Post some pics so we can see how you go, ok?

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://members.iinet.net.au/~derbyc