You don't have to do it in conversion. Just convert your RAW red image with good exposure data on the histogram and do your BW conversion in the PSCS channel mixer. I don't discard the green and blue. I find they can sometimes add a bit when tweaked. Here's my favorite from among my IR shots. (Seen here before.) http://www.photo.net/photodb/photo?photo_id=4235460