Ahh, but you can choose to have the files open in many different ways and
several different places.  Once you've set your preferences, the same
reader or whatever ~should~ open the same way when you remove the device
and insert another, with no need to reboot the computer.  It would seem
that something's amiss on your machine.

I just did a little experiment by inserting a card reader into one of the
free USB ports.  The option for how to handle the device came up quickly, I
made the preferred choice, and then fiddled around with removing and
inserting cards.  I even used a second card reader on the same port, and it
worked in the same manner as the first.

So, regardless of how you set your preferences, there should be no need to
reboot the computer if Windows is properly set up and working properly.

I don't see having choices as an annoyance.  I think it's great that
Windows can easily be customized to suit my needs.

Shel