YAWN....(Mac User, who puts his card in the reader and takes it out:-) vbg
On May 14, 2006, at 5:09 PM, John Francis wrote:

On Sun, May 14, 2006 at 01:54:27PM -0700, Joseph Tainter wrote:
Thanks, Jostein and John. I am using Windows XP.

I use the little green arrow in the Taskbar, labeled "Safely Remove
Hardware." I have found that if I doesn't use that, Windows scolds me. I
have the issue with card readers, thumbdrives, and the external 250 GB
drive I can use on either Firewire or USB.

If I remove a CF card (or any of these) through the "Safely Remove
Hardware" method, I cannot then insert a new card (or re-insert the
thumbdrive or turn the external hard drive back on) without rebooting.
Windows just won't recognize it.

That's exactly counter to my experience. I, too, am running Windows XP (SP2). I regularly use thumb drives and/or external (USB & Firewire) hard drives, all of which require me to use "Safely Remove Hardware". I've never run into the problem you describe. Sure, the device goes away when I click on
the device in the "Safely Remove Hardware" pop-up.  But the next time I
plug in a device plug-and-play detects it, and it shows up just fine.

I'd suggest checking to make sure you've got the latest driver updates
for your USB controller.