Hello Shel,

Intrigued, I took my 16-45 and FA 50/1.4 outside here to test for
flare.  It is 100 degrees and very sunny right now, so easy to get the
sun in the image.  As I worked with the 16-45 first, I could cause it
to flare when I put the sun just outside of the top corner of the
frame.  If I moved the sun into the frame just slightly, it flare
would go away.  So it seemed that there was one angle of the sun that
would catch the glass just right that SMC coatings wouldn't help
enough.

Then I put on the FA 50 and tried the same thing.  On this lens, it
would flare just as the sun was put into the frame, rather than just
outside it.  It can be made to flare just about as easily as the
16-45, but at a different angle.

The picture that Paul Stenquist showed had the sun in the frame and so
the flare was mostly absent.  Your shot has the sun just outside the
frame and so it really showed.

Anyway, in my quickie test, it seemed that there was a single spot
where the flare would really show, but I could make another Pentax
lens do just about the same thing.  That is probably why I haven't
noticed any real flare problems with mine - it didn't take much of a
movement to fix the problem.

Thoughts?

--
Bruce