In a message dated 6/21/2006 3:07:57 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
> From: Bob Sullivan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> So what do you all do?  Convert them all in a batch and just save
> the converted versions as high quality photoshop files?  Do you put the
> RAW originals away somewhere, out of Elements 4.0?
======
Didn't see original post so not sure what you are asking, exactly.

But I can tell you what I do and why. I use mainly Elements 3 to manage my
photos. Even though I also have PS CS, I am not that conversant with it yet.
And
I like some of the photo management stuff in Elements that does not appear to
be there in CS or not in the same way.

When I am in the Editor part of Elements, I can use the File Browser to see
my pictures. It pulls out the jpg thumbnails in each RAW file for me to see.
When I am in the Organizer part of Elements, it also pulls out the thumbnails
embedded in each RAW. So I can use either or both to look at my pictures. No
actual conversion is taking place.

I NEVER get rid of RAW files, they are my "negatives."

I also don't do batch conversations, usually. I have no need to. I don't
print that many photos or share that many photos.

I ONLY convert when I am going to create a low-res jpg for showing on the
web. AND/OR when I am going to print a photo. I convert and save as a .PSD
first,
then a .JPG. If I am printing, IIRC, been a long time, I usually print from
the .PSD.

And I save them by the same name in the same folder, the extensions are
different so they don't overwrite each other. I do like using the Organizer
part of
Elements to organize my photos, that way I can tag them with descriptive
names and not have to bother with making any actual name/file changes.

There seems to be a presumption that everything should be converted to JPG in
your question. Maybe I am reading it wrong.

My question would be why???

By keeping the RAW one can always convert and edit again. Maybe next time
doing a B&W conversion, or next time cropping. If one just converts then
deletes
any RAW, the JPG will not convert well again or at all again. I am more likely
to get rid of conversions that I ended up editing that I didn't like. I am
more likely to get rid of JPGs than PSDs.

In other words, I don't actually convert that many photos. Only the "good"
ones.

HTH, Marnie aka Doe   Already discussed my backup procedures elsewhere.