On Sat, Jun 24, 2006 at 03:15:33PM -0400, gfen wrote:
> On Sat, 24 Jun 2006, John Francis wrote:
> > Get some "new" lenses (that's anything made in the last 25+ years)
>
> Sometimes they really don't make 'em like they used to, y'know...A moot
> argument for me, but not for everyone here.

There are only a few of the pre-"A" K-mount lenses that measure up to
their later counterparts in an objective (sic) test.  And when you also
take into account the different crop factor of the DSLRs, you'll often
find that those lenses aren't as much use to you anymore - they're the
wrong focal length.

> > Pentax.  Oh, wait - there aren't any.  Still, switch anyway - that
> > will show them!
>
> Or I can continue functioning along like I always have, but drop the broad
> support I've always given Pentax in the past for producing excellent
> optics and cameras and the right price.

They still do produce excellent cameras and optics at the right price.

> If there's no DSLR that provides me the proper usage of the aperature
> ring, well then so be it. I didn't need a DSLR anyways.

Then don't get one - stick with film, or a rangefinder, and you'll be happy.

> I'm not sure why there's a chip on your shoulder because some people have
> a preference for doing things they way they always have, and because some
> people don't like to give up features and methods that have worked across
> teh board so we can fidget with wee little buttons and menus.

I have absolutely no problem with that.  Although, as others have
pointed out, you really shouldn't condemn things until you try them;
some of the loudest complainers on this list in the past have found
that once they put their prejudices aside things really weren't as
bad as they had been fearing.

In my initial answers I tried to be even-handed in the way I described
what was, and was not, possible with the current Pentax DSLR bodies.
It's only your continued arrogance in suggesting that what _you_ want
to do is the only "right" or "proper" way to do things that irks me.

> > You're right, too, that you're just rehashing old arguments that
> > have been played out here, in excruciating detail, too many times.
>
> Ain't the Internet grand?

Not really.  But I'm bored ...