Bob Shell wrote:
> Adobe's done this before.  They bought Live Picture, a great photo
> retouching application with some very advanced features, and
> discontinued it just to get rid of the competition.
>
> Bob

That sounds like AutoCAD, or as the parent company became known as ~ Autodesk.
They bought out, to name just one, the Generic CADD people, aka Generic
Software, Inc.,dba Autodesk Retail Products Division.
A division of AutoDesk, I guess...
That was just after Autodesk bought them out. Prior to that, they existed all
alone. Great people...

When this company (Generic Software, Inc.) started, it was "Design and
Drafting Software for the Macintosh."
A little quirky, and with some unique ways of doing things, nevertheless, it
was well worth learning. Lots of promise.

By 1993 they stopped supporting the product, and in 1994 discontinued it.
For the next couple of years, if you wanted a PC version, they had that
available, but then it too was discontinued.

The product was very capable and by Autodesk's own admission, had over 200,000
copies in customer hands. That's not insignificant.
But, someone there decided they didn't want the competition to an Autodesk
drawing program.

Poof!

keith whaley