Aaron Reynolds wrote:
> I have never seen Pentax advertising material claiming that the LX is
> weatherproof.
I've heard quite the opposite because of the user-changeable prisms and
screens.

http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/hardwares/classics/pentaxlx/reliability/index.htm
The bottom of this page shows some of the diagrams from the original
Pentax brochure, which I've been unable to find online.

> What do you mean by 'prolonged exposure to rain'?  Out on the deck all night?

Shooting outside in medium rain for an hour?  I've done the latter with
the DS2.
I've had my LX lock up in medium cold (by Canadian standards) -- we'll
see how the DS2 does this winter.

Out in three days' constant rain.  Wet enough that I didn't want to
change film.  The battery problem was common to all alkaline-powered
cameras.  With the LX, you had three choices - no battery, lithium cell
or the remote battery pack.

> Why would it be that the electronic board for one camera will be available
> for a long time,
but for another it will only be available for    short time?

Because one camera was made in large numbers for more than six months.

> As to LX  repair frequency, it was a constant topic on my first stint on the
> PDML.
What kind of repairs were the barrage of DL complaints about?

D, not DL.  Mainly sensor problems and irregular battery problems IIRC.

mike