Godfrey DiGiorgi wrote:

> On Jun 29, 2006, at 10:17 AM, Ann Sanfedele wrote:
>
> >> http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canonpro1/page3.asp
> >>
> > and why they stopped making it I jsut don't know...
>
> Sales of 'prosumer class' fixed lens digital cameras are down quite a
> bit since DSLRs approached the $500 price bracket. Kind of a shame as
> some of the better cameras in the class are very capable and provide
> features that DSLRs do not. I still have my Konica Minolta A2, my
> favorite of the class that the Pro-1 was a part of, and recently
> purchased the Sony DSC-R1, which is a bit beyond either of the above
> due to its much larger sensor. Both of them are very fine cameras for
> certain purposes.
>
> What I am curious about is that you seem comfortable enough with the
> LX ... What makes the *ist DS so much more difficult to deal with? Or
> do you not use the LX very much anymore either?
>
> Godfrey
>
> --
It's the way the bells and whistles work and the existence
of them
- The LX is simple - I never owned an auto anything camera
until 1996 - I got a ZX-5 - thinking I did need to be able
to auto focus sometimes as my eyes are going....

I can shoot with a manual camera without looking at the
controls,
I can tell how fast I'm shooting without looking at
anything, I can shoot if the meter dies, I can tell which ap
I'm at without looking at the ap ring -- I 've had the LX
for 20 years and
before that 2 KX's which I like even better but the LX did
some neat stuff the KX couldn't.

I only went digital to start with because of selling stuff
on ebay and my photo finisher
going out of business (he was a block away - did every thing
I wanted him to and got stuff
back to me instantly if not sooner.)

and the money crunch... I also felt I needed ONE digital
camera to do quick work for profit
and it certainly is easier to get stuff up on my computer
for ebay pics....

It took me months to adjust to the power shot A80 - then
about a month to get a bit
comfortable with the PRO-1 --

I accepted working with auto focus because my eyes wont do
the job looking through a
viewfinder... everything tiny and dark....

I know you don't know me in person and haven't known me long
on the list, but the
old timers here (HAR) will remember how I kicked to the
north and screamed to the
south I wouldn't get dragged into digital.  Given unlimited
funds (which , of course,
I will win tonight in the lottery) I'd have my LX and KX's
repaired to brand new,
buy and Optio, and a tiny spy camera, and 100 rolls of PKR64
if there is any left in
the world, and extra computer, etc... but I don't so I'm
compromising.

I've gotten fond of the Canon - I don't use half its
capabilities, but it works for me.

The DS is physically difficult for me to hold - it is just
heavy enough to hurt my
shoulder and back after about 30 seconds... (I'm a mass of
old broken limbs and back)

There is too much of a learning curve for me on all the tech
stuff - and it seems, in fact,
that I CAN'T just hook the camera up to the computer....

20 years ago I could cope with the problems - I can't these
days and remain cheerful and sane.

Objectively I see the following things wrong that I imagine
anyone would be annoyed with

(1) the battery is extra fragile because of the way it is
constructed,
(2) things that you might
want to do quickly require getting into the menu and
scrolling (like that on the PRO-1,
too, but I've got the pattern in my head now )

The zoom lenses (including the one I might keep)
work by turning instead of back and forth to zoom - which I
would often screw up when
I was using one of my old lenses that worked that way - zoom
when I meant to focus, focus
when I meant to zoom - by by shot... I just couldnt do it.

I found the LCD screen difficult to see - not nearly as
sharp and bright as my Canon.
The control buttons are mostly black.
The trash button is just below the menu button.

And there were a gazillion warnings about it's stability or
lack there of in cold weather.

and I'm a klutz, too

a digital SLR in a place that is dusty all the time is also
an accident waiting to happen
my windows, even with ac on, are always open and I live in
Manhattan surrounded by
buildings being torn down and put up

Ha - bet you are sorry you asked!

I babble when I'm upset - and this has been one hellofaday
dealing with friends
problems as well as my camera woes

so there :):)

ann