I'm going to have to agree with Shel here. With my D50 (which is
notoriously 'hot' for exposures) I've almost never had to worry about
blown highlights, in fact I often add up to a stop of exposure to get
the best possible histogram for editing purposes when doing macro, and
I've rarely had blown highlights doing that. When I had the D, I
typically dialed in _more_ exposure if the scene allowed it, dialing
back only when bright highlights made that an issue.

Digital is typically faster than film. I can cull & edit 100 shots in
less time than it takes me to scan 24 film exposures. It's certainly
cheaper (After capital costs).

-Adam