I use an inexpensive Manfrotto 479 monopod that I bought about ten
years ago to support the A* 400mm f2.8, which is nearly twice as heavy
as the 500 f4.5 according to Boz's page.  It's an awkward lens to hold
until you get it onto the monopod, and then you suddenly discover that
it's balanced magnificently and it barely feels like you've got a heavy
lens at the end of the camera at all.

It's all about proper technique with the monopod, and I'm bad at trying
to explain or teach things like that.  Maybe someone else can chime in
on that score.  But you should have no trouble with that lens on a
monopod.  I'm shooting at 1/640 without trouble.  What helped me a lot
was learning where the DS2's release actually was.  It's a very soft
shutter button compared to what I was used to, and as a result I was
hitting it too hard and adding a little extra shake to every
photograph.  Getting used to the fact that it's a very, very light
touch has improved the sharpness of the photographs dramatically.  I'm
going to try dropping my shutter speed a bit in some tests next week to
see how much better I've become with the button.

Knowing your shutter button well will give a better advantage than any
pricey head system or tricked-out monopod.

Sitting with the camera in your hands while watching TV, pressing the
shutter button over and over to get a feel for it, now that'll probably
drive your family up the wall.  Even with the camera off.  I know it
drives mine nuts.

-Aaron