Sounds like quite a voyage,  like you are planning to leave forever
and never return again, want to "say goodbye" to places you remembered.

I don't camp any more. Sleeping in a tent is very hard on my bones,
regardless of what kind of sleeping pad or inflatable mattress I buy.
Trying to find campgrounds that are accessible by car and yet do not
service RVs is difficult.

I'd equip a light truck for living/traveling in, once upon a time I
had a '63 Microbus that was perfect at this sort of thing. Much
lighter duty than today's behemoth RVs. I'd go out for a trip and
sleep in the bus two-three nights in ad-hoc campgrounds or real
campgrounds, then take a night or two in an inexpensive small-town
motel where I could do the laundry, etc. Worked out well.

For when I did camp, it was always from a motorcycle. Light tent,
room for two in a pinch, ground cloth, small campstove, cooking
utensils, etc etc. Buy food/water/etc for the next two meals. Pitched
that tent in god only knows how many places across the US and Canada.
I think I still have it. It's probably pretty ratty by now.

There are good books and many sources of information on the web.

The basic tenets of travel remain the same no matter how you do it:
go as lightly as you can manage comfortably.

Godfrey