Op Fri, 14 Jul 2006 11:18:21 +0200 schreef Christian
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> Lucas Rijnders wrote:

>> No: Canon Fd register is shorter than EOS, so with an adapter you either
>> loose infinity focus, or you need an optical adapter: essentially a weak
>> TC. That is different, and arguably inferior, to M42-to-K...

> The original statement was that it was not "possible to mount a FD lens
> on an EOS body." based on one attempt at a camera club without the
> required adapter. Regardless of tradeoffs (optical adapter) it IS
> "possible."  Different and inferior is for another debate which I will
> not involve myself in.

If you allow for optical adapters, you can mount everything on everything,
so the discussion becomes meaningless...

You were supporting the 20D owners who said 'our 20D can do that too',
while practically it can't. I know a fine art photographer who still has a
dual Fd/EOS setup: Fd with his old quality lenses for serious work, EOS
with AF zooms for 'snaps'. If there were a practical way to use his Fd
lenses on EOS, he'd use it, I think... On the other hand, with a Pentax
you spend $15,- and you're in business, and this is widely done...

>> You can mount almost everything on EOS, due to the short register and
>> lerge diameter, but not K-mount, unless you castrate the lens. Ask Cotty
>> :o)
>
> He has been pretty successful, so it is possible.  The fact that there
> are adapters commercially available for it (with or without taking a
> hacksaw to the lens) means it is "possible."  Useful or practical is
> another question. :-)

Quite relevant, as the young member was considing purchasing, and probably
actually using, a camera (brand)...

--
Regards, Lucas