P. J. Alling wrote:

>A friend of mine who did some wading into the shallow end of the
>Polaroid patents, came the conclusion that Polaroid had patented the
>process of osmosis, which was the basis for their claim.  He was
>astounded that Polaroid won the case.

I was living in Rochester, NY at the time of the Kodak instant cameras
and the Polaroid lawsuit. Based on what I recall from newspaper
coverage at the time (and it was *extensive*, needless to say!), the
*mechanical* design of the system was pivotal. The Polaroid system
used a reservoir "blister" at the end of each print which contained
development chemistry and after exposure, the print was forced through
a set of precision rollers which broke the blister open to release the
chemistry and spread the chemicals evenly over the photosensitive part
of the print media (while still containing everything inside the print
media as a whole). Kodak essentially copied this patented process
which, though it might seem "obvious" now, wasn't considered so at the
time. (At least not by the court that heard the case, which is what
counts!) Newspaper articles around the time of the verdict had all
kinds of diagrams of both mechanisms.

--
Mark Roberts Photography & Multimedia
www.robertstech.com