On Jul 19, 2006, at 8:48 AM, Tom Reese wrote:

> For those who haven't seen the Pentax collars, the foot has a
> removable metal plate with a standard tripod thread in the center
> of it. The foot also has two smaller holes that could be useful to
> stabilize the lens if anyone made a QR plate with the proper
> hardware to take advantage of them. I see a market for a QR plate
> with two metal pins to fit the smaller holes and the usual screw
> with tripod thread. The metal pins would be useful to keep the lens
> from rotating around the tripod screw.

I drilled a Manfrotto hex plate, threaded the hole, then put a short
M4 screw through it with some superglue to stop it from ever coming
back out.  It fits both the F*300 and FA*400 lenses, but I had to do
a separate plate for the 6x7 as the hole spacings are different.

I didn't do it to stabilise the lens though: I did it because the
stupid Manfrotto plates I have are coated with cork (later versions
use rubber).  It doesn't matter how much you tighten them, as
anything heavy will always come loose.  The extra screw stops the
lens from twisting any more than a fraction of a degree.

- Dave