Here's the point since you haven't got it: Someone prepared to teach
students something which flies in the face of indisputable evidence has
to be absolutely crazy, or the story itself is bullshit. Take your pick.
There are plenty of explanations you can try. I can think of at least
two other ways it could have been distorted or mis-reported. Academic
freedom is a red herring. Of course he'd be free to talk rubbish to his
students, but it wouldn't do them, or him, much good. It could very
quickly ruin his career. I lectured for close to twenty years at two
different universities -- before I moved into full time research and my
teaching load dropped to a few lectures a year. I know a little about
the academic world.

Don

--
Dr E D F Williams