No way to ask this and remain less than embarrassed. Not going to try.
Let's say I have a frame commercially scanned (35mm for example) that
turned out to be an 8-bit at 50MB. (it's a beautiful scene, by the
way).
I decide to print an 8x10, size it accordingly and notice that the file
is now 17MB or?.
I now fiddle with the image, I like the changes, so re-burn it.
Dumb alert: do I need to restore the dimensions in PS to approximate
the initial file size (50MB)? Will I have lost MB's if I don't?
I gather not, but...?
Thanks for your pitty. :)

Jack