----- Original Message -----
From: "graywolf"
Subject: Re: OT: Toyota hybrid-electric drive system

> Ah-ha, someone who looks beyond the obvious.
>
> That is the problem all electric vehicles have. I was looking into
> electric bicycles a bit back, and even they have that problem,
> although
> a couple of hundred bucks for the bicycle battery is better than the
> few
> thousand which I will bet the replacements for those crossbred cars
> cost.

One also needs to look at the environmental costs of charging the
batteries in electric vehicles.
If the charging is a byprduct of using the brakes, that's all fine, but
in my neck of the woods, electricity is made by burning fossil fuel, so
while an electric vehicle may seem to be zero emissions, all that is
happening is that the emmissions are being moved offsite.
I was looking at purchasing a small car to drive when I didn't need to
be hauling construction materials and the like, and came to the
conclusion that it would be a bad business decision.

William Robb