On Aug 7, 2006, at 5:45 AM, Mark Roberts wrote:

>> The question I would have before buying such a complex car is about
>> getting it repaired.  It looks to me like a lot of things could break
>> down, and if/when something does break, how likely is it that there
>> will be a repairperson who knows enough to fix it.  Around here the
>> car mechanics are only marginally literate and really have problems
>> with anything made since about 1990.
>
> That was a concern for me as well. It turns out that the Prius has an
> outstanding reliability record. I expect that they knew this would be
> a concern and went an extra mile (or two) in designing for reliability
> on such a groundbreaking vehicle.

I've heard nothing but excellent reports about Prius reliability too.
The drive system is complex software-wise but is mechanically fairly
simple.

My previous two Toyotas were excellent on maintenance ... I had the
MR2 for 17-18 years and it rarely needed anything other than standard
maintenance: one of the least expensive, lowest maintenance cars to
run of any that I've owned since 1970. There are always exceptions to
these sorts of things and some dealers are better than others, of
course. I hope for more of the same quality that I've enjoyed with
Toyota in the past.

Godfrey