On Aug 7, 2006, at 9:29 PM, P. J. Alling wrote:

> There were K lenses listed as current on the Pentax USA website when
> the
> Film *ist was introduced and every high end body, including the MZ-S
> disappeared.  True most were special purpose, but you can't say they
> didn't do that to current catalog items.  The old days are dead long
> live the New Pentax, they're a marketing company just like everybody
> else.

Which lenses were these, out of curiosity?  New old stock at Pentax
USA, or current, in-production lenses?  As far as I understand it,
there hasn't been a non-A lens in actual production for a very, very
long time, regardless of what Pentax USA had in their warehouse.

Just because a company has an item in a warehouse and brand new, that
doesn't prevent it from being old.  For instance, this year I bought a
brand-new SMC-F 50mm f1.4 from Pentax Canada.  How old is the F, 20
years?  Would I be howling in complaint if I bought what I knew was a
20 year old lens and tried to mount it on a body that I knew didn't
fully support it because it was 20 years old?  No -- I realize that not
everything is forever.

I don't see how a company that is making both new bodies and new
lenses, especially new specialty lenses like the Limited lineup, can be
"a marketing company".

Clearly you have a problem with the lack of support for lenses that you
can buy cheap, secondhand.  I'll not hazard a guess as to your age, but
even if you had bought them new 30 years ago, would you not agree that
you'd got your money's worth out of them by this point?

I'm surprised that people aren't whining that Pentax's new bodies don't
magically add autofocus to their screwmount stuff.

-Aaron