I'm broke right now, but even I don't see that as a huge price.  What
would you have expected to pay for a FF 35mm DSLR even three years ago.
I think the Kodak DCS cameras were about $6000.  Which was about half
the price of the equivalent Canon?  While imaging chips are probably not
going to halve in price in the next three years, they may fall by
another 1/3 with a savings in the support hardware, (the rest of the
camera that is), of maybe 50% being not unreasonable.  We, (yes the
royal we), could postulate that a FF DSLR would be selling for less that
$2000.00.  Maybe around say $1600.00.  How many on this list paid that
much for their *ist-D.  Pentax will have to build one, just to compete.
If they can't they're doomed anyway, and I think they know it.