Interesting observation. I think the issue is more
about getting the shot than overall image quality in
photojouralism. It would seem to me that big lenses
and higher end cameras are chosen more for reliability
and capability over whether or not every shot is
better suited to a glossy 2-page magazine spread vs. a
grainy newsprint image. A large and fast 80-200 f2.8
may be the difference between shot and no shot in many
situations. Also, it always helps to start with the
best image possible no matter how it's finally
presented.

Besides, he could be freelance and working for more
than one client at a time and part of the thought
process may also include thoughts of portfolios and
websites. Then there's always the online newpaper
editions and year end photo anthologies printed by
Time and others that feature the best in
photojournalism. All places better suited to showcase
photographs than newsprint. Looking at it this way,
all that fine gear make complete sense.

-Brendan