[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>My question is: why do newspapers use these expensive cameras for prints
>that simply end up on newsprint, which has poor resolution?  Why use a
>11MP camera with expensive lenses (the whole unit costing in the thousands
>of dollars), when a much smaller, less expensive camera would provide the
>same results, given the nature of their use?

Well in general the PJ-specific cameras (Canon 1D/1D-II and Nikon
D1h/D2h) *do* have lower pixel count than their siblings in the high
end of their manufacturers' respective line-ups. But most big
newspapers are part of conglomerates that encompass various media,
some of which can benefit from higher resolution images. And just
about any paper will be happy to license its photos to anyone who'll
pay for them! Since it's always better to have more resolution than
you need and resize down than to have too little and try to resize up,
they are likely to err on the side of big images.

If that one-in-a-million grab turns out to be a Pulitzer Prize winner,
plenty of places will want to reproduce it nice and big :)

--
Mark Roberts Photography & Multimedia
www.robertstech.com