> hmmm...
>
> This guessing game is more about which features Aaron treasure most in
> his 67, than it is about new features in the K10D.
>
> My interpretation of the patent link Dag posted is that it looks like
> a way to reek out noise produced by the sensor, in such a way that it
> could be implemented at all shutter speeds without any significant
> penalty in performance.
>
> It is also tempting to speculate that the useable dynamic range of the
> sensor will increase as a result of this, but the proof will be in the
> pudding.

They way I read the patent (but I haven't studied it very closely), it
addresses certain specific conditions where the (dark) noise is
particularly significant. I'm quite sure the method could improve the
usable range under those conditions; the dynamic range of the actual
sensor is essentially a direct function of the noise, isn't it? However,
I also suspect that these conditions were not really taken into account
when the bit depth was chosen, so the dynamic range would not increase
beyond the one associated with 12 bits - if you know what I mean. (When
we discussed exposure setup etc. I while back, I speculated that sensor
designers might be "defensive" in the sense that they chose the A/D so
that its full range would be usable even under worst-case scenarios, but
based on information I found on the net, I concluded that they aren't.)

- Toralf