At 12:04 PM -0400 8/17/06, graywolf wrote:
>Then you have never used even a merely decent lab.

You are probably right.

>But I will agree it was getting harder to find a decent lab outside of
>very large cities in the decade or so prior to the event of digital. The
>mini-labs were putting them out of business. You have to realize that
>mass marketers do not run their mini-labs as profit centers, their main
>purpose is to get people to wander about the store for an hour or so.

I live in small town USA...a good 250 miles from a large city. I deal
with a lab  about a 45 minute drive from here. They are not a mass
marketer; processing and printing (film and digital) is their only
business, apart from selling P&S cameras, accessories, albums etc.
That said, the bulk of their customers are obviously snapshooters who
would not know a decent print if it came up and bit them. I'm sure if
there were a Wal-Mart in the area then the majority of their
customers would flock to it and they would be out of business in
short order.

They get my black and white business, my medium format and what
little C41 I shoot. Process only, please, no prints. My 35mm slides
(the bulk of what I shoot) go to Fuji/Dwayne's or Kodak.
--

Steve Sharpe
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

http://earth.delith.com/photo_gallery.html