--- Jack Davis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Wouldn't detail be further compromised by larger
> droplets?

Absolutely. Bigger droplets mean less detail. But,
once you get to a certain size, I think the issue
becomes a matter of complete subjectivity.

Here's what I read recently over at PopPhoto (are
those groans I hear? :-P):

"The smaller the droplet, the greater the resolution
of the print. Small droplets also let you produce
finer tonal gradations and highlight details with
fewer inks.

But, unless you inspect printswith a loupe, you
probably don’t need to worry much about droplet size
once you go below about 4 picoliters. Factors such as
paper type and image processing are more likely to
determine how smooth and detailed your prints look."

> These are just rhetorical reactions to a series of
> curiosities.
> There has to be a definitive answer lurking
> somewhere.

I think the answer is just dialing in a good printer
to your taste in the end. But, I have to say that I
agree that I don't want to start out with a printer
with a relatively "large" droplet size. Fortunately
both the Canon and the Epson are within the very tiny
range (4 for the Canon, 3.5 for the Epson). And yet,
printers with larger droplet sizes than these two
supposedly also produce amazing results.

-Brendan