Do messages get lost? I looked for this one and couldn't find it. Sent
this morning. I apologise if this is a duplicate.

Right. They move up 3 inches and down 3 inches 100 times per second.
This means they average about 50 feet per second. But, of course, the
wings stop at the end of each up and down beat and accelerate/decelerate
to the end of the next, so they'd be travelling somewhat faster than 50
fps maybe even 100 feet per second at some stage. I don't think your
shutter speed of 1/125 is going to cut it do you? The answer is to make
sure ambient light contributes as little as possible to the exposure. In
the dark it would be easier, but that only works with bats. You'd also
need to make sure the flash duration is short. Circuit changes can be
made to some of the older Vivitars (283 for example) to achieve pretty
short flashes. But I've seen some very good Hummer pictures with blurred
wings.

Don

--
Dr E D F Williams