I'm no optics expert, although I played one on a local TV show <LOL>

A while ago Bruce and I met for dinner, and I "kinda komplained" about the
lack of a Pentax camera with a "full frame" sensor.  Bruce pointed out that
using a 24x36 frame can often result in soft and poorly defined edges due,
as you suggest, to the way the light hits the sensor.  He suggested that,
instead of complaining, I might want to look at the smaller digi sensor as
just a different format, and to stop comparing it to 35mm.  That made
sense.  These are not 35mm cameras.  They are not film cameras.  They are
something else entirely.  Once I got my head around that, my attitude
changed a little, and I stopped wishing for something these cameras are not.

While it's true there are some cameras with "full frame" sensors, Bruce
noted - and I've no reason to doubt him - that those cameras have problems
with edge sharpness and definition.  I seem to recall hearing or reading
that from other sources as well.  So, right now, I'm content with the
sensor size of the Pentax, I'm pleased as punch that all my lenses work
well on the istDS and that I don't have to buy new lenses in order to use
the camera even though I may want to buy some newer glass that's either
auto focus or designed specifically for the sensor size used by Pentax.

Changing the subject somewhat, my concerns about the sensor used by Pentax
is that I'm not satisfied with the tonal quality I can get from the camera,
most especially in deep shadows or dark areas.  Whether it's just my lack
of skill using digital, either when making the exposures or when processing
them, remains to be seen.  Another list member suggested a few ways I may
practice to a) isolate the problem and b) find a way to get better results.
A "film noir" mode would be very helpful - get rid of that goofy smiling
face and the silly flower on the mode dial,  replace them with a "broad"
wearing a tight sweater and packing a .38 - and would make me very happy.

Shel