>From: Godfrey DiGiorgi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>To: Pentax-Discuss Mail List <pdml@pdml.net>
>Subject: Re: Japan DSLR Stats
>Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2006 13:29:16 -0700
>

>On Aug 24, 2006, at 12:37 PM, Tom C wrote:
>
> > I'm not unhappy in general with my *ist D.  There was actually no
> > choice at
> > that point because of the existing lens collection.  The question
> > is, will
> > it be the right choice in the future?
>
>Why is this a question? If the camera you have is sufficient for your
>needs at present, and you're not certain yet that you need anything
>different, then I don't understand the desire to discuss these things
>that are of no significance, like Pentax marketing strategies. You
>might as well just enjoy using what is working well. Deliberate on
>the question of the future when it is salient and significant because
>you need new equipment.
>
>Otherwise, your interest in the discussion is, indeed, more
>emblematic or theoretical than practical ... to return to my original
>thesis.

There's always a matter of needs and wants.  No one that pursues photography
as a hobby NEEDS a DLSR, so it being sufficent for what one needs is not
really the issue.   I don't need lots of things that I purchase.  Of those
items purchased, many features I don't need, but I purchase a given model
because I want those features.  By way of example, you just purchased a
vehicle, not because you needed those features, not because you didn't
already have a vehicle, that all things considered, met likely 99+% of the
reasons one has a vehicle to begin with.

> > I know we, as a group, go round and round. probably unprofitably.
> > The DSLR
> > market is of course evolving and no once can tell for sure where's it
> > heading.
>
>Nor is 'where it is heading' of any particular significance. I am
>interested in and buy camera equipment to do photography with, not to
>worry about where the development of equipment is headed. What I
>require of the equipment is that it performs the function I expected
>of it when I purchased it.
>
>Godfrey

It's significant when one has a limited amount of funds and is planning a
future purchase.  Where a company is heading has a bearing on whether I put
that money in their pockets or in that of their competitors., or just keep
it in my own pocket.

Talking about the future, speculating on it, and making predictions correct
or incorrect, seems to be part of human nature in just about any circle of
human endeavor.

Stop being such a Vulcan. :-)

Tom C.