Godfrey DiGiorgi wrote:
> On Aug 27, 2006, at 12:17 PM, Ryan Brooks wrote:
>

>>> The only complaints about crop factors and telephoto's I've run acros
>>> are about 85's. Not many people are happy that their uber-pricey
>>> portrait tele's are now too long for general use and the 50's
>>> don't have
>>> the bokeh of those 85's. The biggest complainers seem to be the Canon
>>> users (but Canon 85 f1.2L's are ridiculously expensive).
>>>

>> My complaint is about normal lengths, ala 50mm.  A 31mm perspective is
>> fine, but the 31mm focal length doesn't look "normal" at all to me.
>>

> I'm not sure what you're saying, Ryan. If you're using a 16x24mm
> sensor and fit a 35mm lens, you get the same field of view as you do
> with a 50mm lens fitted on a 24x36mm film body. That implies the same
> perspectives as well, since perspective is a function of distance. A
> 31mm lens is a little wider than that film 'normal' but is still
> within the range of normal.
>
> What about the 31mm focal length doesn't look "normal" to you on your
> *ist D?

It appears to be a crop of a wide angle lens, which it is.

In particular, informal head and shoulders shots look a bit odd if I'm
close to the subject.  The shoulder may seem enlarged if I'm taking a
profile, for example.  Whereas a 50mm would compress this distance more.

I thought I would be at home with the 31mm limited on the D, but using a
wide angle lens to achieve a normal-length crop is a bit wonky to me.  I
still like it, I wish I was using a 50mm focal length instead of a 31mm
lens cropped.

-R