On Aug 27, 2006, at 6:11 PM, Ryan K. Brooks wrote:

> The field of view is the same, but that doesn't say anything about the
> transform taking place optically.   The image from 50mm crop of a
> ~31mm
> lens != 50mm
> full frame.   Try it.  You can really see it when you're framing,
> and it
> makes for weird magnification of things close to the lens.
> I'm not talking about bokeh or anything esoteric.   Try it.   Cropped
> focal length isn't the same as focal length.   Not interested in a
> debate,

Nonsense. There is no such thing as "cropped focal length". What
transform are you talking about? The lens ls projecting an image, in
both cases, straight onto the sensor or film plane.

Mayhap I'll borrow a Pentax film camera, stick an FA50 on it, fit an
FA35mm on my *ist DS, and take a photo of a reference test subject.
You will not be able to tell the difference, I guarantee it.