>> As I asked elsewhere, would there necessarily be any extra circuitry in
>> the lens? Or any need for additional signals? [ ... ]
>>

> USM, at least as implemented elsewhere, uses a stepper-type motor which
> is controlled by in-lens circuitry, not the camera body.
Sort of what I thought (I've never been bothered to check closely.)

But like I said, surely you might instead put the stepper in the lens,
but the controller in the body? Again, I think that would require 4
power lines to the lens instead of two.

Also, *if* the main object is to reduce the amount of mechanics between
the motor and the moving parts, a "normal" electric motor might still be
used.