The gears in the lens and the material the lens is made from seems to
make a huge difference in the amount of focus noise that Pentax lenses
make.  The FA 20-35 is much quieter, (plastic body), is much quieter
than than the F 70-210 (metal body).  The FA 43 seems to make a bit less
noise than the 70-210 but more than the 20-35.

--
Things should be made as simple as possible -- but no simpler.

                        --Albert Einstein